Monday, June 6, 2011

I am waiting by Lawrence Ferlinghetti (wk.7)

      In week sevens reading Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s poem “I Am Waiting” stood out to me because at heart it is about the American dream but in it’s idealistic sense it also goes one step forever envisioning an America where there is no need for government. To create an anarchist world as he calls it. “and I am waiting/for the war to be fought/which will make the world safe for anarchy/and I am waiting for the final withering away of all governments.” He wants what John Lennon wanted in his song “imagine”, a utopiac wonderland. He also has reached the epiphany that with a brave world the good wins out. This I completely agree with as I believe laziness and anxiety are the cause of all problems in the world. The other things like greed, jealousy, anger, sorrow and worry all stem from these two characteristics. “And I am waiting/for the American Eagle/to really spread its wings/and straighten up and fly right/and I am waiting for the Age of Anxiety/to drop dead.” Drop dead he says with finality, making the verdict there shall be no more fear. It’s a powerful sentiment. Yet while he writes all this he himself feels jaded and doubtful. If anything will save him it will be his patience. “and I am waiting to write/the great indelible poem/and I am waiting/for the last long rapture/and I am perpetually waiting” Lawrence dreams of being remembered when he says indelible poem. He also wants to be inspired to write spontaneously by his early childhood and thus become immortal or remembered. “I am waiting/to get some intimations of immortality/by recollecting my early childhood/and I am waiting/for the green mornings to come again/for some strains of unpremeditated art/to shake my typewriter.” This is a monumental even epic work in scope because of the value of all the core points it covers. It truly asks for the freedom of a more ideal world. What I have to tell Lawrence is in searching for your masterpiece; your inspiration, you have written your masterpiece and have even inspired me.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment